When it comes to treating drug addiction, there is a tremendous amount of variation in terms of treatment options and therapies that are available. Drug rehab, therefore, is a very general term that can refer to many different styles and approaches. For example, the techniques, medications, and therapies used to treat cocaine addiction will be much different than those designed to address opioid dependence. Or, a cognitive behavioral therapy approach can differ vastly from a 12-step program. Altus Treatment Center works with each patient on an individual basis, as well as in group therapy, to help them overcome their drug addictions.
Despite these variations, however, there are certain commonalities present in all types of substance abuse. As a result, all of the treatment methods share some basic underlying concepts as well. The following will give you a broad outline of these similarities, so you can then begin moving forward in addressing a specific addictive substance.
Drug Abuse Symptoms
Regardless of the addictive substance, certain symptoms of addiction remain constant:
- Feeling that you must have the drug regularly—either daily or multiple times per day
- Intense cravings to use
- Building a tolerance and requiring greater use to achieve the same effect
- Constantly maintaining a supply of the drug
- Buying the drug even when it is beyond your financial means
- Failure to meet work responsibilities and obligations
- Reducing social or recreational activities due to drug use
- Engaging in acts that are out of character in order to obtain the drug
- Engaging in high-risk behavior when under the influence
- Increasingly focusing one’s efforts and energy on acquiring the drug
- Repeatedly trying to quit using, but being unable
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when unable to use, or trying to quit
All of these signs may not be present in an addicted person. For this reason, it is critical to be aware of the presence of any of them when considering the possibility of addiction. Our highly trained staff and medical professionals and prepared to assess new patients to determine the level of drug addiction they suffer from. Our treatment facilities in and throughout Aliso Viejo provide patients with a well-rounded approach to drug addiction.
Also, be aware that a particular drug will also have its unique set of symptoms and indicators. Two examples of this might be needle scars due to intravenous drug use, or the tooth decay associated with methamphetamine addiction (meth mouth).